Today, October 7th, I did my first lesson on Flip video cameras and their use with the 8th grade Physical science class at Jack Jouett Middle School. Overall, it went well, although we didn't have enough time to do everything I had planned. Ms Lilley had to go over some review worksheets and answer questions for their test the next day and this took a bit longer than we thought, but I was able to get most of the important parts of this first lesson completed. We had to re-assign some students to groups since Deanine had not finished this from the last class and this also took a few minutes.
After introductions and a brief overview of the project, we began discussing making videos.
I was able to go over quickly the use of the flip camera and then two volunteers did an excellent job demonstrating how to use the camera to take video and download it onto a computer. We played back their video of how to tie your shoe for the class immediately and students seemed to understand the operation well. Most of them had used a flip camera before, so this was mostly review. Then I handed out the CSI scenario and briefly explained the major points and parameters for the assignment. Deanine went over the boundaries as to where they could go outside of class to film their videos for this introductory practice assignment. She also suggested that the students take the first five minutes to plan what they would do and then the last ten minutes to film it. I highlighted some of the options as to props and other items that might be of use and many groups took advantage of these in their video presentations. Then each group went out for 15 minutes and filmed their video. Deanine decided to go out and supervise, I stayed inside to watch a couple of groups and help with downloads. They returned and we had time to download a couple of their videos on the computer to watch and make comments. The other videos were downloaded at the end of class and we will watch them later after all of the projects are finished next week. I asked everyone to take a minute to look over the evaluation rubric, but due to time limits, I asked them to wait and complete it later and we would discuss it on Friday at the beginning of class.
After a brief discussion about what worked in their practice scenarios, I handed out the Digital Probe assignment and went over the challenge and explained what the digital probes were and how they worked. We will go over this again on Friday at the beginning of class to be sure that each group understands how to connect them up to the laptops. (We did not have laptops today, so I held off on demonstrating until each group could do this for themselves as I show the entire class how to connect a probe and start the software.) I highlighted all of the potential roles that they could take: Producer, Director, Videographer, Production Designer, and Actor and then asked them to decide how they would divide up the work between their group. I also showed them the storyboard sheets that they should use to plan out their story for the video. They had only three or four minutes to discuss their ideas in class, so I asked them to be ready to work on these in class on Friday. All groups seem to have a good idea of the project goals, but will have to work on their scripts or storyboards some more on Friday. This means that we will spend the first twenty minutes or so of class Friday working on understanding the probes and writing their stories, then about an hour filming, leaving a few minutes at the end for clean up and exit cards. We were not able to do the exit card today because I wanted to give them enough time to discuss their ideas with their groups before they had to leave for their next class.
As the students left, Deanine finished downloading all of their videos on her computer for later and we packed up the flip cameras and other materials. I left the remaining handouts and extra storyboard sheets along with the AFI storyboard shots manual so that if students have extra time after taking their test on Thursday, they can use these to plan and work on their story ideas for Friday. Overall, it was a bit rushed, but all students were able to use their flip camera appropriately and get at least part of their practice video completed. We discussed a couple of important issues regarding filming that they could use to improve for later. Overall, it was a good lesson considering the limited time I had to get everything complete.
I look forward to working with this group again on Friday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Except for some time issues, it sounds like the lesson was a success! Let me know how Friday goes.
ReplyDelete